Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Age Appropriate? What We Do--and Don't--Tell Kids to Read

I'm sure everyone and his mother has opinions about the age appropriateness of certain books, and that the large community of YA readers, writers, reviewers, and their mothers have more opinions than most. Until recently, I was pretty sure I didn't have opinions like that. My parents never really monitored my reading when I was growing up, though we always did talk about it, and I loved nothing more than doing just that. I read a lot, even as a kid, devouring pretty much all the fiction I could get my hands on -- most of it found while browsing my school or public library, or the local bookstore.

As a member of the Harry Potter generation -- and as someone whose love of fantasy was rekindled by those books -- I grew up at the forefront of some of the biggest debates about age suitability and parents controlling what their kids read, and all of it struck me as incredibly strange. I distinctly remember being very puzzled as to why one of my friends, to whom I was incredibly grateful for introducing me to the Chronicles of Narnia, wasn't allowed to read Harry Potter. (Him: They have witches and wizards! Me: So does C. S. Lewis. And the White Witch is scarier than Voldemort. Him: But the Chronicles of Narnia are Christian books! Me: Have you noticed they always celebrate Christmas at Hogwarts?) Aside from the fact that telling the average kid not to do something is the best way to ensure he does just that (something J. K. Rowling thoroughly understands -- look at what happens in Order of the Phoenix when Umbridge tries to ban the Quibbler), telling kids not to read things just never made sense to me.

But now that I am slightly older, with two younger cousins coming to me for reading recommendations, I'm realizing that there's another side to parental control of reading -- not just what grown-ups forbid, but what they never recommend.

Over the past week, I've read two young adult novels -- Jane Yolen's Dragon's Blood, first published in 1982, and Holly Black's White Cat, first published in 2010 -- and although they're very different novels, they got me thinking again about the question of content and age suitability.

Dragon's Blood takes place on a desert planet where one of the main businesses (and pastimes) is training dragons to fight each other. The planet's economy depends upon a system of indentured servitude, with people trying to earn enough coins to fill their bags and buy free of their debts. The story follows fifteen-year-old Jakkin as he attempts to do just this by stealing a dragon egg and raising the hatchling to become a fighter. By all rights I should recommend this book to my cousin -- what teenage boy, or girl for that matter, doesn't like reading about dragons? -- but I'm not sure I will. While male indentured servants tend to fill their bags by working in dragon hatcheries, as Jakkin does, most of the (male) characters in the novel seem to think that the only way for female indentured servants to do the same is to work at brothels -- which are so connected to these indebted women that they are known as "baggeries," where women work to fill their bags. On the one hand, it's probably realistic that a kid who works at a middle-of-nowhere dragon hatchery wouldn't have encountered or heard stories of other jobs for indentured women. And on the world that Yolen has set up, it might be that there aren't many. But I'm not exactly sure this is the kind of book I want my young male cousin to be reading.

White Cat, aside from possessing a teenaged male protagonist, is a very different story. Seventeen-year-old Cassel lives in a world remarkably like this one, except for the fact that he comes from a family of curse workers, whose (technically illegal) powers let them do everything from changing people's luck to manipulating emotions to breaking bones, all with the touch of an ungloved hand. Cassel's the only one in the family who isn't a "worker," but it doesn't keep him from getting all tied up in his elder brothers' mafia connections or having to deal with the fact that his mom's in jail for using her abilities. The result is that he feels way older than the average seventeen-year-old, and in some ways the book seems "older," too -- to the point that some reviewers have complained that it is far too violent to be a young adult read. In White Cat, people beat people up, lie and cheat and steal, break into houses, and take orders from organized crime syndicates without any of this seeming particularly out-of-the-ordinary. At moments it is unabashedly violent. And yet my gut response is that I'd be more likely to recommend it to my cousin than Dragon's Blood, and not just because it's a better novel. For some reason, I don't feel the need to shelter him from violence the way I feel like I should be directing him away from even oblique (but pervasive) references to sex slavery.

Thinking further about this comparison, it's not like White Cat contains glowing female role models. In fact, I don't think I particularly like any of the female characters, at least not yet, largely because the ones who could possibly be likable feel underdeveloped in comparison to Cassel and his brothers (though I haven't read the sequel yet, and Red Glove could very well change this). But this doesn't change my gut feeling about the difference between these two novels. Maybe it's just because I feel more of a connection with Cassel's homework headaches and coffee consumption and family drama than I do with Jakkin's hard labor and boyish crushes, whereas my younger cousin -- still in junior high -- might have the reverse experience? Or maybe it's because mainstream media is clogged with sex and violence, desensitizing me to the impact of murder and corruption even in what is, ostensibly, a book for children? Or maybe I'm just crazy, and should never be allowed to recommend books to anyone under the age of eighteen.

All I really know is this: only some kids are like me, wandering libraries and bookstores in their free time, browsing book catalogs and standing on tip-toe to check out the books on the family bookshelves. Most kids only read what people suggest they should. And this makes me wonder, is there a point where not suggesting a book is just as bad as telling a kid not to read it in the first place?

5 comments:

  1. That last question you asked is as tricky as the subject you raised in general. I completely see your reasoning in regards to 'Dragon's Blood' but on the other hand, it might be useful for a person to develop that sense of imbalance. However to temper even that statement, there are probably other books that do a better job illuminating that aspect to the reader. Miyazaki's movie 'Castle in the Sky' is an interesting case in this regard. After being captured by pirates (the leader of which is a tough old biddy) the female protagonist is sent to work in the galley and the male character in the engine room. Later on the two heroes are sent up to a scout glider and when the captain calls up for Sheeta (the girl) to come down because that's a mans job, Sheeta replies that the Captain does dangerous things as well. This is one reason I like his movies so much; he deals with so many gender related topics in ways that can be grasped and discussed by any age.

    As far as how this relates to your last question...I think suggesting books to younger people can be detrimental if handled poorly...I think there are many different ways a parent (cousin, friend, mentor etc.) can handle such recommendations, but regardless of how, I feel it should be discussed slightly before, and then talked about after. But if that doesn't happen, then I think that suggesting books is still a good thing because they will inevitably have their own opinions, seek out other books, and explore areas that we haven't expected. I think the rel danger would be to sell books to someone in a propagandist kinda way (read this book because it says/means this!). It's better to say, here I think you'll like this book (and then later) what did you think about x-y-z?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang it...

    When I first read Dragon's Blood, I was too young to think about what the "baggeries" were. I think I figured it out abstractly and stopped there, since they don't play as much of a role in the books. (The second book is much more political but not in a way that makes this at all better.)

    I think what made the books so great (to me...) was that the world was all backdrop, rather than the actual plot. Even if the book was plot-based more than character-based (and it is a kids' book), the rules were a given right from the start, which made it a lot more compelling than stories where half of the story is explaining and mastering the magic system or being part of world-changing events. (This slipped a little in the later books...) I was mildly proud of myself when I figured out (a few years later) that Austar was Australia.

    And now I am sad at the tarnishing of a childhood series, one I still get out of the library every year or so. Because you're right.

    I have a copy of Rudyard Kipling's "Just So Stories". I haven't been able to read it in years because of the small bits of implicit racism and exoticism, and I kind of don't want to give it to my (nonexistent, future) kids for that reason.

    But to take the other extreme, "Huckleberry Finn" is certainly implicitly racist, even if Twain was trying to help African-Americans at the time. (No, I don't just mean the N-word.) Surely "Dragon's Heart" falls somewhere between these two extremes. And honestly, "Just So Stories" wasn't written maliciously, either.

    Is it an excuse that the book was written 30 years ago? ...Not really.

    I am sorry to see the story go because of this, but perhaps...perhaps it should. Though I will never vote to remove it from a library, even a school library, on principle, as I am sure you would agree. Hm.

    Oh, today I have lost a bit of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jordy/Jediknil: For the record, it was totally not my intent to ruin your childhood! (Also, I've started reading Heart's Blood and I like the politicking, and while I'm only about halfway through I suspect I may like it more than the first.)

    I think part of the question underlying (but never explicitly stated in) these books has to do with what sorts of things kids should be protected from in reading. Should we keep them away from implied racism/sexism in books if they're just going to run into it in the real world anyway? Same question for violence and sexual content in general. By the time I was my cousin's age, I'd read my first sex scene (from Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey, which was in my junior high library and recommended to me by my seventh-grade science teacher). It didn't scandalize me, nor did the greater sexual openness of McCaffrey's Pern. If I'd read Yolen's books at that time, maybe I wouldn't have been scandalized by the baggeries...and maybe I would have skipped over them entirely! (Back to McCaffrey: I did not get, until much later, that since green dragons still flew mating flights, a lot of green and blue riders were understood to be either gay or sexually flexible, since women were only allowed to Impress queens.)

    What I do like about Yolen's books is seeing dragons done differently. I don't know if it would have counted as "differently" in 1983, but to a girl who hears "dragon" and thinks Anne McCaffrey, and all the subsequent fictions that have involved empathic bonds between dragons and riders, Yolen's dragons are sort of a relief from the norm. They can't be ridden, they aren't distinctly human personalities (which I feel like a lot of dragons are for McCaffrey and others, with none of their quirks falling beyond the range of acceptable human quirks, not really comprehending that this is a very different species we are talking about!), and they aren't anthropomorphized. I don't get the reason for the thees and thous, but I think it's interesting that dragons are (sometimes endearingly) called worms, and that they are bred like livestock and trained to fight for sport (or sent to the stews for dinner!). It's a little dismal, coming from McCaffrey's world of ineffable bonds between dragons and their riders, to see a world where dragons are made to fight other dragons in a controlled way so that humans can bet on the outcome, or where someone would even dream of eating dragon meat -- but it doesn't feel dismal to me, just different. And I like Yolen for going there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greens are female too, IIRC, and the later books have some green female riders (though I think this is a decision McCaffrey changed, not started with...there seems to be plenty of explanation on Wikipedia.). And the prequel books blamed the sex differences on the traditionalism of the head geneticist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jordy/Jediknil: You know, that is more information about McCaffrey's dragons and their riders than I think I needed to know...also makes me a little frustrated at her views of gender and sexual orientation as they effect Impression (because even if the dominant LGBT subculture divides gays and lesbians up into "butch" and "femme" roles, obviously not all couples follow those roles, and there's actually been a bit of a backlash against the idea that LGBT relationships should look anything like straight relationships, so saying that greens impress "feminine" gay men vs. blues impressing "masculine" gay men feels problematic). Though I am amused by the idea that, effectively, baby dragons have impeccable gaydar.

    ReplyDelete